The Loneliest Jukebox

Graham Barnfield's weblog, being gradually replaced by his Twitter feed - www.twitter.com/GrahamBarnfield

Graham Author Page

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Oh my god, they killed Teddy!

The other day I was stranded in St. Margaret’s bus station in Leicester. It’s not the first time and it probably won’t be the last – thank you, National Express. Faced with two hours of boredom on a Monday night and having just read the BBC’s new survey results in the build-up to its Charter Review - more on that later - I also read a comic, for the first time in years. It was called ‘Infinite Crisis’ or something. The Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), whose own DC comic was launched back when I was a teenager working in a comic shop, gets killed in the first issue. It’s not a great loss to me, but someone out there must be a bit upset. Pow! Headshot. Dead. A bit different to the innocent slapstick of the 1980s relaunch of the character, never mind the 1960s original.

If you followed my comments on Ruth Price and Agnes Smedley a while back, Price herself has put out a short commentary on the response to her new book. Read it here.
Reference:

"Agnes Smedley: On Proving What Her Worst Enemies Had Claimed (Much to My
Regret)" By Ruth Price 4-11-05: History News Network
http://hnn.us/articles/10945.html

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian Wake said...

I’m afraid the comic companies kill of their characters with monotonous regularity. I stopped reading comics, a hobby I had pursued since the age of 7, when DC comics killed Katma Tui: a member of the Green Lantern Corps. This was done in one panel with no consideration given to the fact she had been an interstellar super hero for many years. Female characters seem to fare worse. Having said that, super heroes never seem to stay dead for long.

I find myself drawn back to comics, usually to read Grant Morrison or Alan Moore but found myself intrigued by Infinite Crisis. The title was reminiscent of DC’s Crisis on Infinite Earths. This had to be the ultimate in killing off characters. Supergirl died, The Flash died, amongst others and then they destroyed the entire universe and started it again from scratch

Adrian Wake

12:04 pm  
Blogger æ€§çˆ± said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.裸体

9:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home