The Loneliest Jukebox

Graham Barnfield's weblog, being gradually replaced by his Twitter feed - www.twitter.com/GrahamBarnfield

Graham Author Page

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Skydancing with death

“Dad, can I have a Sky Dancer party?” The day started with these words from my 5-year old, brought on by a cartoon promoting a toy which I guessed to be from the My Little Pony era and therefore beyond my parenting expertise.

And so to Ebay, where no doubt some of these plastic atrocities were lurking. We found three, so RARE RARE RARE that the auction starting price was 99 pence. Further googling revealed just why they were allegedly RARE: a product recall and a $400 000 fine for the Galoob company. So what was the problem with Sky Dancer toys?

"The hard plastic Sky Dancers® dolls can fly rapidly in unpredictable directions, and can hit and injure both children and adults. Galoob® has received 170 reports of the dolls striking children and adults resulting in 150 reports of injuries. They include eye injuries, including scratched corneas and incidents of temporary blindness, broken teeth, a mild concussion, a broken rib, and facial lacerations that required stitches."

Now I want one for myself. Sky Dancers could be a way to bypass Britain’s tight gun control legislation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home