The Loneliest Jukebox

Graham Barnfield's weblog, being gradually replaced by his Twitter feed - www.twitter.com/GrahamBarnfield

Graham Author Page

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Blogs and Dogs

The end of an extremely busy semester is upon me. The plan is to concentrate on finishing off a book, freed from distractions like teaching (and possibly blogging too). It's a chance to be creative (log-in needed) and maybe improve my health too. As Stuart Pearce might say, 'I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel.' But as I really enjoy teaching, it's a tough decision too.

But am I taking a gamble? One answer is yes. My friend the Dog is getting married and we're off to Vegas to celebrate, by getting high, not taking responsibility and forgetting about being good citizens for a long weekend. (OK, maybe not getting high on the contraption depicted at the last link - the computer simulation puts me in a state of fear.) No Elvis costumes though- that would be too conventional, and they don't come cheap. The age of putting on a stag do for peanuts seems long behind us, and each new marriage in my clan seems to involve getting out my passport and another overdraft. If you discount the memories, the effect is basically ephemeral, but stag nights stag be done out of friendship (of the sort discussed on the Jukebox before) and not economic calculation.

Who knows what sort of calculation is going through Ade Akinbiyi's mind at the moment? He suffered from being Leicester's goal-shy record signing and part of Peter Taylor's uneven and ultimately disastrous regime at Filbert Street. He was incoherent off the pitch -"I was watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George (Ndah) had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out there playing" - and on it. One Palace supporter I know never really got over him; another compared him to having a slobbering labrador chase the ball all day. Now he's involved in a sit-down protest over the future of current club Stoke. "I sat myself down in John Rudge's (director of football) office and refused to move," said Akinbiyi. Just like old times in the goal-mouth at Filbo and Selhurst Park then, Ade.

PS. To Dr Michael Wetenku of Abidjan,Ivoiry Coast: if I do send you the financial details requested, you will end up seeing far more of my money than I will ever see of your "28 million dollars belonging to Gen Robert Guei who was shot dead together with all his family last september by the Government soldiers here on an accusation of plotting a failed coup de etat." Ask me again when I'm in Vegas and you might get a better result.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home